Monday, September 1, 2008

The Road to a Lesser Dave: Day 49

I know. I know. Can we leave it at that? I didn't think so either. These past few weeks have been wonderful for my marriage, but not too great for my adventure in slimmatude. Now that I'm active in my job search I get to spend lots of really great quality time with my wife. It started by going to the county fair and seeing a cow giving birth (This is a graphic video we took while watching. CAUTION: not for the squeamish).



The following weeks, we went to an outlet mall, engagement party, wedding, and two sheva brachos (post-wedding parties). This week, we have already gone to one local farm and today we went berry picking about 45 min north of here at Larriland Farms, followed by a family BBQ at my in-laws.

My new anti-schedule and lack of keeping to this blog have, as I suspected, greatly contributed to my weight re-gain. However, the fact that I started writing and was initially consistent has, as also suspected, kept my mind focused around this lessening initiative. I walk more (and complain less about it), I am conscious of what I eat (to a certain degree) and while not yet winning this battle, I am getting in the right mindset.

The sad truth is that tonight I broke a folding chair just by sitting on it. I kept my emotions inside, but that snap, crack, laugh (everyone else there...) reminded me of the other two folding chairs I had broken over Passover and the high riser that I had slowly broken over the course of the past year at my in-laws. Being overweight has many disadvantages, but one sure one is humiliation.

Here are some of the encouraging comments I have received lately:
Uncle Dave, you look pretty. [This was before a lunch meeting last week with the DC Concierge. I was dressed up more than my usual shorts/jeans & and polo, but hey, my niece noticed!]
I check your blog every night before I go to bed. [Math Wiz]
I think of you every time I get on the elliptical machine. [EZ Israeli]

Fat Brothers Unite! [Daddy Recruiter]

Slimmatude Indeed! [Unreturned Book]
...and some of the not so encouraging comments (however motivational they may be):
Is this just turning into a fun blog? What's the point? [The One]
Have you lost anything yet? [Dr Learning]
You have a blog? [Everyone Else...]
Day 49 Stats

Weight:
303.4 Lbs.

Loss Actions:
Nothing significant. As mentioned above, I am in a better mindset. However, I have take advantage of a few recent meat meals. As the husband of a former vegetarian and now pregnant wife, who can't stand chicken and most meats now, I get excited at steak or even a burger.

No comments: