Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Road to a Lesser Dave: Day 29


I have a story to tell you. I have been absent from this blog for too long. My absence was due to the convergence of events in my life over the past fourteen days. These events threw me a curve ball, once which I am not sure yet how to swing at.

Two weeks ago I was asked by employer, GeniusRocket, if I would like to become a consultant for them. My new role would be that of Brand Ambassador: going around the country to promote them at conferences and local meetups in order to spread the good word, build partnerships and relationships and hopefully, grow the brand. While this had been an opportunity I had been looking for as a logical growth of my current responsibilities, GeniusRocket could only employ me under these terms as a consultant.

What to do? Where to turn? If I formed a consultancy I would have the luxury of working for myself and my terms. However, it would also mean that I would be forced to find other clients on an ongoing basis in order to sustain my livelihood. I gave myself one week to gage the interest in my possible new profession. That week started Thursday night, July 24th.

From the moment I decided to try consulting, I was on the phone. I called everyone I knew in my time zone. Can we meet this week? Is your company online? What do you do online? Are you using Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn? DO you know what those things are?

When it got too late, I moved west to my Chicago and other Midwest connections. WHEN it got too late I moved west to my LA and west coast connections. By 1am EST I had to move all the way to Israel, where my now awake connections started getting my calls, IMs and emails.

With five minutes to go before Shabbat, Friday afternoon, I had a week-long trip planned. I dubbed this the beginning of my Social Media Tour. I would spend Sunday morning through Tuesday afternoon in New York and Tuesday evening through Thursday evening in Toronto.

What a whirlwind week! I met with over 40 people representing 15 organizations in the US and Canada. We spoke about the differences between the old and new web and how in order to be successful one now has to stop talking to their customers or constituents and start listening and being part of the already vibrant conversation. The most positive responses to my "pitch" were all related to me traveling somewhere to speak or train staff about social media.

I accepted GeniusRocket's offer and am now working steadily to build a client roster. I am planing trips to New York (again), Chicago, LA (and SF if it is possible), Southern Florida, and hopefully Boston. IF you want to talk with me about how your company or organization can reap the benefits of the new web, let me know. Let's schedule something... weinberg81@gmail.com

Day 16-29 Stats

Weight:
297.8 Lbs. (This was my pre-fast weight as of Friday August 8th).

Loss Actions:
In New York, my hotel happened to be 2 blocks from a Whole Foods. My snacks for the entire trip, therefore, were a huge bag of granola and a bunch of fruit strips. Otherwise, I ate bagels and home-cooked meals rather than eating out. I walked a TON and drank a whole bunch of water, maybe 6 bottles worth from monday morning-tuesday mid day. I walked so much that I realized I had better get one of those rolling laptop/briefcase bags soon or I am going to injure myself.

Toronto, I had the mixed blessing of being right near the all-kosher Second Cup. I think I had 5 drinks in 2 days!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

DAAAAAVVE! This blog is awesome! How come I haven't heard about this until now??? Good luck with becoming a lesser Dave...although I still and will always love the big Dave.

I graduated Master's in May and am now a Customer Services Manager with Ping...Funny how life throws curve balls, huh?

Anyways, Good luck with consulting...and if you're ever in NY feel free to take me out to Prime Grille so we can discuss your business (Although I'm not sure how Ping and Genius Rocket can help each other).

Take care!

Dave Weinberg said...

@Judah Thanks! I'm glad you find my adventures to be to your liking. Let's be in touch big guy....